Monday, May 18, 2009

Could Money Magazine and Time Warner be reading the Bible?

My daughter and her family gave me a subscription to Money Magazine for Christmas. Since Money Magazine is published by Time Warner I can't say that I was really expecting to see much financial information that was consistent with the Bible. Somehow the two just didn't seem to reconcile in my mind. But none the less, since my daughter and her family gave me the subscription and I love them very much, I figured I better read the magazine to let them know I appreciated their thoughtfulness.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Money Magazine is taking on a Christ centered emphasis, but I am a little surprised at what I have been reading. It appears that even the secular world acknowledges (either knowingly or unknowingly) the wisdom of God's Word.

Here are a few of the articles that I read in the last two magazines:

The importance of saving for the future. Proverbs 21:20 says "There is precious treasure and oil in the dwelling of the wise, but a foolish man swallows it up" Money Magazine has had a number or articles in the last two issues about the value of saving.

Being content with what we have. Philippians 4:11 says: "Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am" Money magazine suggested in the June issue that we should turn off our TV's or at least "stop watching the shows of the fictionally rich"(page70)

Teach your children good financial principles: Proverbs 22:6 says: "Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it." The title of the article on page 58 in the June issue of Money magazine is: Real Life: It's time to unspoil your kids.

Don't be so quick to buy that first house: Proverbs 24:7 says: "Prepare your work outside and make it ready for yourself in the field; afterwards, then, build your house" If you have ever sat through a Crown seminar, you know that the point is made very clearly about the dangers of buying the first house too soon. There are many passages in the Bible that caution about jumping into things too quickly. In the June issue of Money magazine on page 37 the article is titled "Home Sweet Rental Home....When it makes sense not to buy".

And then there is perhaps my all time favorite; the need for a spending plan. Luke 14:28-29 says "For which one of you, when he wants to build a tower, does not first sit down and calculate the cost, to see if he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation, and is not able to finish, all who observe it begin to ridicule him"

I know that there is no verse in the Bible that says "Thou shalt live on a budget". But I sincerely believe a budget or spending plan is one of the best tools available for us to be wise stewards of our finances. The June issue to Money magazine had a section starting on page 25 called "The Plan". The first article in the section was "Discover your Budget style".

I am not saying Money Magazine or any other secular magazine is written with a Christian perspective. The point that I am trying to make is that the Bible is full of sound principles for life. As Christians our first and foremost calling is to follow these principles because of our love and commitment to Jesus Christ. But even to a world and society that blatantly rejects the teaching of Christ, the consequences and results of following or ignoring these principles remain the same.

No comments: