Monday, February 14, 2011

Does tithing make us good money managers?

At the risk of sounding a little like a “Prosperity Preacher” I would like to offer a few more thoughts about tithing. I find it interesting how God subtly presents the benefits that come with a proper attitude towards tithing.

I do not believe that when we tithe that God will instantly make us rich. I don’t see anywhere in the Bible that would support such a conclusion. However, I do see some interesting conclusions that can result from a proper heart towards tithing

Malachi 3:10 says “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows”. No other place in God’s Word are we told to test God like the Israelites were instructed to do in this verse.

We must realize that God’s blessings are not always financial and not always in this lifetime. God deals in an eternal perspective. But we can be assured that God will pass this test. And let me add that I have heard many testimonies of individuals that said that when they committed to consistently tithing they received financial blessings.

The other passages that I want to look at are Deuteronomy 14:22-23 and Proverbs 9:10. Deuteronomy 14:22-23 says “You shall surely tithe all the produce from what you sow…so that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always”. These verses told the Israelites that if they tithed they would learn to fear God. And Proverbs 9:10 says “The fear of the Lord is the being of wisdom…” My conclusion is that tithing with a proper heart yields wisdom and this wisdom includes sound money management.

I have worked with hundreds of Christian families, couples and individuals over the last 25 years in the area of their personal finances. Although I have no statistics to back this up, I can say without reservation that there is a very definite correlation between a commitment to tithe and sound money management. “Tithers” consistently handle money better than “non-Tithers” do.

So does tithing bring us increased blessings and wisdom that may include financial wisdom? I would have to say that the Bible gives us pretty good indication that the answer is yes it does.

From Abraham’s life throughout the New Testament, it is clear that God wants to bless those that are faithful to Him (2 Chronicles 16:9). When we tithe, we are saying that God is the owner of all that we possess and He deserves the first part to be given back to Him. Matthew 6:21 says that where our treasure is there will our heart be also. So tithing, with the right attitude, is a pretty good indication of a faithful heart.

Yes, I believe that even though these passages were written to the Israelites, tithing is the beginning of blessing for the Christian as well as wisdom which includes good money management.

No comments: